Saturday, May 25, 2013

Greene County

Greene County was formed on January 15, 1851 and from 1854, self-governed. It was named after General Nathanael Greene, a hero in the Revolutionary War. The first settler was Truman Davis. He settled on the Raccoon River. The first courthouse was built in 1856 from wood. The County seat is Jefferson. Previously court was held in a log cabin southeast of Jefferson. The second courthouse, of red brick, was built in 1870. The present Greene County Courthouse used today was built in 1917.

- Photo by Bob Kelly
- Photo by Bob Kelly

- Photo by Bob Kelly

- Photo by Bob Kelly
- Photo by Bob Kelly













The intense salmon-pink color caught my eye, then I saw the motorcycle atop a tall pole, and last I saw the name of the place...."Bent Bikes," and I grabbed my Nikon! You can see it yourself as you go through the tiny town of Paton, Iowa!  Photo by Bob Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment